Pumpkins abound in October but this is beyond the friendly jack-o-lanterns as we approach the end of the month. We don't have to wait until November for delicious pumpkin treats either. This recipe for my Pumpkin Bread has been a sought after dish by family and friends alike and it is so easy to make you will delight your family and friends with loaves for the rest of the year!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 large free range eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 TBSP butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and line with baking/parchment paper.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
3. In a small bowl combine milk and vanilla.
4. In a large mixing bowl beat softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in each egg one at a time.
6. Add pumpkin puree and beat on low speed until just combined.
7. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk mixture. Beat on low speed until smooth.
8. Fold in walnuts.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 1 hour.
10. Allow to cool in pan on a rack for 5-10 minutes before unmolding. Garnish with pepitas.